Tuesday, June 23, 2009

6/17/09 Report on the work of Emily Hassell

"Blindness wields itself against the propeller of indignation
Of nations crumpled under their own forgetfulness,
Toys of the tycoons’ belt-
We under its knuckles,
Even as the sun sets, we turn again and
Breathe out into the universe as singing birds at dawn."
(EH)

Emily Hassell, recipient of the Art and Anthroposophy grant this year, has been working towards the completion of her presentation and is more than half way done with the works that are due to be exhibited at the end of summer. Although Hassell’s work little resembles Joseph Beuys and Ellsworth Kelly in outer form, Hassell has chosen to use a theme very close to both artists - ‘the space between matter’ - as the focus of her projects. Upon receiving the grant in January, the artist presented the first of her series - "1050˚ F" - a performance installation. Maneuvering through the cumbersome darkness of human atrocities, Hassell’s devastating and beautiful piece responded to politically and socially sensitive issue of the conflict on the Gaza Strip in December and January '09. Hassell says: "Although I knew I had to do this piece, it was not without moral and spiritual questioning. My question was whether or not I could do it in such a way that faced the gruesome nature of it, yet somehow said 'I see, I feel, I will remember, I am your witness.' The space 'in between' in this piece became surrounded by a feeling of immense gratitude, compassion, and love" says Hassell. "I think it worked. Does anything feel better in life than being passionately involved with something you love?" "I have been able to advance both my 'career' and inner state tremendously through this project, and to think, it’s only at the half way mark as we speak!" laughs Hassell.

No comments:

Post a Comment