Monday, June 1, 2009

5/24/09 Report from Luke Fischer

I was invited to contribute poems for the last two Think OutWord conferences. These have been wonderful occasions to share my poetry with the community and receive encouragement for my work. At the conference “Art is Movement” in Spring Valley and NYC, Lachlan Grey brought my poem, “Metamorphosis,” to life in creative speech. Marcus Macauley composed music for the poem which he taught the conference participants to sing. The interweaving of poetry, speech, and song was an enriching and enlivening experience for all.

For the conference “Social Forms to Embody the Future” I was invited to recite a selection of poems, and my poem “Snow” (see below) formed the starting point for a social sculpture. My poetry was very warmly received and many people expressed gratitude for my contribution and asked me to send them the poems. After the conference Laura Summer sent a report to the Social Sculpture USA website run by Rosemary McMullen. Rosemary also published a report on the social sculpture in the Pittsburgh paper, The New People, in which my poem was also published.

There are presently further plans in the works, to collaborate with artists connected to the Think OutWord community.

At the end of June I will be attending a course on Goethean Science at The Nature Institute. While Goethean Science, as a way of perceiving and thinking about nature, is already an inspiration for my poetry, I am sure the time at the Nature Institute will serve to deepen my understanding and perception.

I am seeking various avenues to publish my work. This is a necessary first step before finding a press to publish a book of my poems.


Snow

 

The clouds empty their pockets

of lint,

sending multitudes

of winged-parachutes

spiralling down,

joining hands

in diving-formations,

almost weightless

as air.

 

Aid-bringing

messengers,

radial symmetries, little universes

descending

one upon the other,

white seeds

sewing and laying

new ground.

 

After weeks of news of war

sky sheds its sleep,

a veil

 like forgetting

upon charred clay.

Guiltless

weaving baptismal cloth

and shroud,

unceasingly trustful

in amending possibility

even as it is muddied

and melting…


No comments:

Post a Comment